Every vape needs a bit of TLC, from the most complex box mods to the simplest disposables. In this article, we’re going to cover the basics of vape care and maintenance. Not every tip will apply to every vape (you don’t, for example, have to clean the coil on your disposable). Altogether, however, you should be able to apply these tips to care for your vape no matter what make or model you have.
Let’s get started:
Caring for your battery
To charge your vape safely—and to maintain your battery’s lifespan—there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Only use the charger that came with your device—other chargers may damage it.
- Don’t keep charging your vape once it’s fully charged—doing so can shorten the battery’s lifespan.
- Start charging your vape when it reaches about 20% power.
- When you store your vape, be sure to do so when it has some power left—50% or more is best.
We’re in Winnipeg (which makes us especially cold turkeys). Winters here are brutal, so it’s important to let your vape warm up before charging it or using it. Charging a cold, dead battery can cause serious damage.
See also: Why Is My SLTH Not Hitting?
Caring for your coil
Whether you’ve got an old-school box mod or a new pod mod with a refillable or replaceable pod, you need to know how to care for your vape coil.
We’re not going to go into the details on replacing coils and the different kinds of coils here—those rules aren’t universally applicable. What we will say is that you want to give your juice enough time to saturate the coil; if you don’t, you might end up with harsh, dry hits. Our advice? Wait about 10-15 minutes after refilling your tank or pod before vaping. That will give the coil enough time to become saturated. Chain vaping can also cause dry hits if you're not letting the coil resaturate.
Caring for your contacts
Your vape’s tank or pod is connected to it through contacts that need to be cleaned regularly. Doing so can reduce the chances of leakage and helps you get the most out of each draw. To clean the contacts:
- Remove the battery
- Remove the tank or pod
- Use a microfiber cloth to wipe the contacts (on both the tank or pod and the vape)
- If there’s juice or other buildup on the contacts, a small amount of isopropyl alcohol can be used with a cotton swab or soft cloth. Wipe off the alcohol before reconnecting the pod or tank.
Pretty simple stuff—and doing it regularly can drastically improve your vape’s performance.
Looking for more tips? Come to Cold Turkey!
We’re Cold Turkey—Winnipeg’s vape shop. Whether you’re looking for advice on caring for your vape, shopping for a brand-new device, or wanting to try a new flavour, we’ve got all the bases covered. We’ve got stores throughout Winnipeg—come visit us today!